Tamiya 4wd Mini Cat Racer

Hello all! Today we are looking at something very different and handled in a very different way. From the good people at Tamiya, I bring you the Tamiya 4wd Mini.



Now, what is a Tamiya 4wd Mini? Well, it is like a slot car with four extra wheels on the side that help it drive along a specially designed course.

Here is some footage of the course.





So why did I buy this? Well because I thought it looked cool and to try something different from Tamiya.

So enough talk let's crack this kit open.


PARTS

Much like a model kit, this car comes in sprus out of the box.


You get Runner A

Runner B

Runner C
Runner D
A chassy base
Copper connectors
Gears
Screws
A geared axel
Two axels
A motor
Grease
A cute cat

And last, we can't forget the stickers...


As for the technical things, we get some instructions and a do/do not guide.

Tools

So, what kind of tools are needed to build this? Basically your standard model kit assembly tools. With the addition of a screwdriver. (Granted some screwdrivers are required for model kits, but that is seldom the case nowadays.) This is also taking into account the grease needed, but that is already provided.


Also, you need some AA batteries.

Here is a quick peek of how it looks without the cover on.

And after it is said and done. (Stickerless of course)

So usually I'd do an articulation section and so on, but its a car, no real articulation on this thing. However, I do have footage of it running.





If I were to give some advice about building it. I would say to put the wheel axels in first during that step of assembly. Push down on the motor cover when installing that, and make sure the gears are line up correctly. This is a straightforward kit to assemble and doesn't cost that much. Roughly 10 dollars depending on where you buy it from. For me a Gunpla builder, this a nice break from the norm, having to install gears and stuff to make something that actually moves.

The only real downside to this kit is that the race track itself is relatively expensive, and because of that, it can really limit what you can do with this. However! Don't let that stop you. I am currently trying to create one out of cardboard, I'll get back to you when it's done. Or if it even works.

So where did I get this? Usually, I'd buy stuff like this from HLJ or Amazon, but this time I shopped locally. My local Hobby Town USA had this, so I thought why not, let's try it out. Maybe I'll review another one down the line.


Until the next review!


- Zeroconvoy



Comments