Neca 1954 Godzilla

Hello all! Bringing you a new review. Today we are looking at Neca 1954 Godzilla from the film Godzilla(Gojira) or if you are like me and from the United States, it is Godzilla, King of the Monsters.

But first I would like to take a moment to give my respect to a dying friend. Toys R us. The toy store that I and many others grew up on is or has gone the way of Blockbuster. I bring this up because this Godzilla figure might just be the very last figure I ever purchase from Toys R us. That isn't saying I shopped there on a regular basis, oh no, the place was pretty pricey, but on occasion, I would go and shop there. And knowing that this may possibly be my final purchase from Toys R us, I couldn't think of something more appropriate.

Back to the review! As the name implies this particular figure is from the 1954 film, is based on the original Godzilla. Now being a Neca figure, Neca has made some good figures I have heard, and I've only had one brush with Neca before. The Burning Godzilla from Godzilla vs Destroyah. It wasn't mine so I can't really go in depth, part the reason is that this isn't that figures review and it isn't obtainable right now. Maybe I'll do a review on that later on, but for right now let's get this review going. Neca figures are very articulated and have a not perfect, but pretty close paint job. The sculpting is pretty good too from what I hear. So, let's see if old man Goji can hold up to my rumored based expectations.

Part 1: Box

So here we have the box. Which I think is pretty nice looking. The clear all over really lets you make sure you get one with a good paint job and not parts that are all rotated around.

The box art in the back is really nice as well, but I can't help but feel it looks like one of those Bandai soft vinal figures.

The side

The back.
While not as cool in my opinion, I like the idea of what they were going for on the back picture, but I guess I'm too used to seeing what the figure is about on the back.

Unboxed.
 Here is what we get once we take him out of the box.
The tail is not attached so just make sure you pop it on, but let the ball joint be a hint as to what is coming up for articulation.

Part 2: Design

After you pop the tail in (by God that was difficult) we have Neca Godzilla set and ready to go.
A quick 360 spin around.



The colors are traditional Godzilla charcoal and grey for the spines and claws. However, I never noticed the shades of a light off blue here and there. I wonder if the original Godzilla did have those colors. 
The face looks a bit strange, but when you look at the original Godzilla, it works.
From the side, that changes and I personally like it better.
One thing I want to point out is how to promote his eyes are. The sculpting they did really is expressionate. The details are there and the more I look at it the more I appreciate it. Even the slots where the joints are, despite them being there, makes it appreciated, but I do have mixed feelings about them.
The back fins are to me the most iconic thing about Godzilla and are something I've always loved to look at as a kid. And the back fins do amazing and stand out as well have a flimsy look to them while not being flimsy. And each one is a bit different than another. However the paint isn't exactly perfect, it has a bit eh here and there.
 The hands are pretty well detailed, while the pose is a static pose and close together as opposed to other Godzilla figure hands that are in a grasping pose. And the claws are well painted and stand out.
Down to the tail, we have a similar look to the fins on his back, however, the paint starts to trail off once we get here. However unlike previously stated how I don't really like the segmented look on the neck, on the tail it works.
Moving down to the feet, the feet I personally think don't suffer from the segmented look, however, I do think where it doesn't fault there, it does fault on the paint. It starts to go eh the lower down we look. On another note, it took a bit of rotating around to get this look right, it was a bit awkward out of the box.
The torso is pretty good, however, my only complaint at this point is the arm. It looks like a sleave. The gap bugs me.
A jump to a bit of articulation, the mouth can open and we have more details and colors.

Here we have the teeth and tongue. While I like the details here, I don't particularly like the color. While I'm not expecting Godzilla to have pearly whites, the grey is a bit off-putting, and the tongue it self-being grey bugs me. I'm not sure if this figure is supposed to be in black and white or not. If it was a black and white figure, on par with the original film, then why is there hints of blue. But everything else looks good.

Part 3: Articulation
Starting at the top. This figure is Godzilla merged with ball joints. As someone who grew up with static Godzilla figures/limited articulated Trendmasters and Bandai figures, this figures is a Godsend. So please forgive me if I give this figure more credit than one thinks it should.

The head is on a ball joint that allows for looking up.
Looking down.
Can look right...
 Look left...
And all the way around.
And so does the neck.
The neck can move up/back.
And forward/down.
As well it can move a bit side to side hence being on a ball joint.

The arms can move this far out.
The arm can go this far up.
And it can go this far back.
There is an elbow joint, which I'll be honest is pretty difficult to bend just because it is a little stiff.

The wrist can rotate around.
And he can close his claws.
Ab crunch!
And can go this far back.
However, we get this strange gap.
But we aren't done, he can rotate...
All the way around.
Once we get to the legs. (This pose took some adjustment to get to work without a stand.)
The legs can rotate about this far up. (May be further but I didn't want to go past that.)
The leg can go this far back.
The thigh and foot can rotate around.
Twisted ankle 
Then for the tail.
It can bend this far down. 
It can also rotate all the way around. 
The tail can tilt this far as well. 

Part 4: Size Comparisons

Lets compare it to the Bandai Soft Vinal 1954 Godzilla.

While it is comparing two 1954 Godzilla figures, this is like comparing apple and oranges. From the details to the articulation, they are just two very different figures. 
Time to send grandpa home.

As for other comparisons.  

HGUC Guncannon

MG GM Kai

And Robot Tamashii Leo

Part 5: Conclusion 

All and all this is a good figure. Its articulation is years above what I'm used to when it comes to Godzilla figures, but that comes as a double edge sword. While I love articulated figures, the joints cause the looks to go down due to the segments showing. Hence why I have trouble buying organic figures because of what it does to the overall look. But I will give them props where they pull it of nicley like the tail and the legs, however, the arms and neck don't hold up as well. The colors and details are very well done with a few paint issues here and there, but that is something I hear is common among Neca figures. Although I still don't like the color of the tongue, I have gotten used to it and can't picture the figure any other way.

So outside of the gaps and other various issues with the color, this figure is really good. Although keep in mind I'm just comparing it to the bandai soft vinal figures. I'm sure there are better versions of 1954 Godzilla, but this figure for me is pretty good and I'm glad I got it. 





- Zeroconvoy

Comments