Classic Game Fest (2018)

Hello everyone! So I know I said I would have a review coming up this week, but things came up, so soon the review will be up! So the reason why I haven't worked on or posted the review was that I went to the Classic Game Fest!


(Image from Classic Game Fest FB page)
So, what is The Classic Game Fest? Well, So, it is a convention dedicated to retro gaming. I found out about this convention at the very last minute! Basically, I was listening to the radio and heard about it. So why not go and check it out!
The Classic Game Fest was held in Austin Texas at the Palmer Event Center. 



This was my first time attending, so honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect. Going in I was greeted by many, many vendors and booths. Each one selling various products, some selling goods from the days of Atari to now, others selling various figures and lots and lots of custom goods from various artists. As well as speakers and a massive free to play arcade game area! Here are some pictures I took at the event.
One of the first things that caught my attention was this layout of game systems. Pretty much every game system up to the original Xbox, Gamecube and Ps2.












Another thing was the free to play arcade, which I loved! However getting my butt handed to me by Donkey kong and Invaders kind of sucked. However playing Pacman was great, and messing around on Frogger is always fun. I even played one of the NES Mario games with a control I swear was from the pits of hell. While I did not take a picture I'll describe it to you as best as I can. Basically, it was a wooden box with a group of light switches across the top. Each on you turn on tells Mario what to do. Basically, flip one switch and Mario runs left, flip another and Mario runs right. However, Mario will not stop until you flip the switch off. This made the game so much harder. However, the controller next to it looked like something from the depths of space. A controller made in the shape of a triangle with some strange buttons on each side. I have no idea. That was not the only oddity, however. They had a massive, MASSIVE atari like controller that was playing Sonic the Hedgehog. I believe it was Sonic 2, but not sure.

Also the music! One of my favorite things was the concert, the music was really awesome and hearing the Pokemon theme at the end of Saturday was just epic!





 Also, there was a cosplay contest. I didn't enter, it was too hot to lug my Eva ODST armor and I didn't want the heat to mess it up. But I did bring a makeshift Godzilla mask I made. While I didn't get as many pictures of the cosplayers I did get a couple.

With the 501st, a group of star wars cosplayers. Check them out here. http://www.501st.com/
Then I got to meet a fellow dino...(I guess in some movies Godzilla is a Dinosaur).
But this is a game convention, so here are some games I've never seen before, mostly because they are imports.


This one game, while I didn't know exactly what it was, the devil thing reminded me of the G1 Transformer Cyclonus.

One thing that blew my mind was the Japanese version of Halo Combat Evolved. I honestly didn't know this existed, but holy crap this was cool to see.


And possibly one of my favorite things I found was this. The display demo case that you see at stores for the Wii U. I'll be honest I was tempted.
 However, nothing would tempt me as much as this! Now granted it was defective, but holy crap I wanted this so bad. This is the controller for a game Steel Batallion. This game is infamous for having this massive controller that is only able to be used by one single game on the Xbox. While it was defective, I did want it, just so I can act like I'm piloting Gundam. Also, it didn't have the pedals.

There were some other cool things, like these awesome transformer statues.


And a dabbing Pikachu, I called em Dabachu. (Kill me)

As I walked the Palmer event center, I came across the Smash Brothers Melee tournament. No, I did not enter, but I did play it and while this was the first time playing Meele on a game cube, I can understand why people believe Melee is the superior game. The controls were very fluid and the gameplay was just so much easier! (Felt bad for the guy I was playing, first time playing Meele and kind of kicked his butt.) But what I want to talk about now is eon or Eon Gaming, these people made a super awesome device that outputs the Gamecube's resolution to HDMI. While I personally don't have a Gamecube, I hope one day they do something like that for the N64 and other older systems. Check them out on Twitter @EON-gamingHD and Instagram @eon-gaminghd

Next is a thing that was another first. It was the first time playing a true VR game. The game is called Baby Hands by a group called Chicken Waffle. This VR game puts you in the perspective of a baby exploring the house they live in. It had a bit of a nostalgic feeling to it, as it reminded me of the old T.V show Rugrats. I had fun playing the game and I hope they have the best of luck pushing forward with VR and with Baby Hands. Check them out on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/ChickenWaffleVR/


I also came across a group know as Firebomb entertainment, while I forgot to take a photo of there both, I did get this kick ass sticker of Kiby with Master Chief's power. 

But showing off the sticker is not why I'm bringing them up. I was blown away by there indi developed Metroid game, it was so cool and they obviously have the passion and determination to do it. I really recommend checking them out, these people have some serious talent! This is in addition to the amazing artwork they had as well. Again I wish I took a picture of the booth. Follow them on Instagram @firebom_ent and Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/firebombent/

While going around I came across some vendors that were really really awesome!
The first one I would like to give a shout out too is Terryn and Steven at Bobbins and Goblins! 
They had some really nice work on display here! I wish I took a picture when they were cosplaying on Saturday, the cosplays they had on were awesome! 
Here is a better look at the two display outfits. 
Again, they did some awesome work! If you want to check them out, follow them on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/BobbinsnGoblins/

Next, I came across an artist who goes by Lapine_vi, who has some really nice artwork and some very cute stickers!
 Speaking of her stickers, I bought one of Vivi from Final Fantasy IX, just because they are one of my favorite designs in all of the FF series!
If you want to keep up with her work, follow her on Instagram @Lapine_Vi, or just follow the link here. https://www.instagram.com/lapine_vi/ 
Also, she said she will be at RTX next week! https://www.rtxaustin.com/

Next, we have another vendor with custom-made goods, Kat and Austin from Kat of Wonders, who as there banner says, specialize in Penny Jewelry, calming Potions and 3D props. As well as the most adorable marshmallow plushies! (I should have taken a picture!)
I will say her potions looked amazing! If you want to contact them, here is a link to there facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/KatOfWonders/

Next, we have some of the coolest props, that show they aren't afraid of no ghost! They made some kick-ass ghost buster gear! As well, they have some pretty cool stuff on their site that could help you build your own proton pack! Check them out at http://www.epicallygeeky.com/ 
 They are also going to be at Geekfest August 17-19, go check them out! http://www.geekfest.ctcd.edu/

Next, I want to give a shout out to Samantha at FIRST CALL Crafts and Crochet Accessories, she was super awesome and a very cool person with awesomely adorable plushes and accessories made from crochet! You can contact her at notaspoonybard@gmail.com or check out her Esty shop, https://www.etsy.com/people/umv6px47
I picked up a couple of adorable little poke plushes, Charmander and Bulbasaur, who I have name Red and Green (Like the games...okay I'll stop)
So finally I'd like to give one last shout out to the people at Ikkicon, if you were lucky you got one of those Monster Musume bags, if not, well don't worry, I'm sure they will get more. 

I've talked about Ikkicon in the past, so I won't go into detail about that con but do check them out. http://ikkicon.com/
Also, check out Kid Chimera on Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/c/cooliuscaesar

So, I did not leave the Fest empty handed, I did buy some stuff, not just the stickers and plushies listed above, but as well as the following. 

Expect reviews/showcases down the road. However, I do have to say I had to return the Ps2 adapter, just because it didn't fit in my Ps2 slim. Which sucks, but I'm really happy to say that the vendor I bought it from was very understanding. 
But this was not the end of my shopping, for I did purchase the following. 
One is the SNES Super Scope and the other is the Xbox version of the Cabellas hunting rifle. While they do not work, I thought they could make some pretty good props. (They were a dollar each soooo) 

So overall, I had an amazing time. I got to meet some amazing people and got some cool things. Even played some games I never thought I'd play or play again. At the end on Sunday, a friend I met at the fest and I  ended up finishing it off by playing the heck out of Metal Slug. (I really need to get that game!) I am really looking forward to going back next year! If you are too then please check them out at http://classicgamefest.com/ Next time around I'll be sure to plan things out so I can maximize my time there. Boy, this was fun to do. This is a new convention on my list!

Till then, 
- Zeroconvoy






Comments